I love to clean out closets…it’s a weird thing you didn’t know about me kind of thing…
My strategy is simple and to the point so that you don’t spend too much time thinking about things and it’s also very effective. “The Rule” – if you haven’t worn it in a year, it’s GONE! The theory is, if you haven’t worn it in at least a year, chances are very slim that you will wear it this year. Probably because it’s not in style, doesn’t fit or is too worn out. However, don’t think about these things, just keep it simple and stick with the 1 Year Rule.
- Move “Spring & Summer” items to most visible spot in your closet.
- Create areas for a Trash, Donate & Sell pile.
- Don’t Keep any items you haven’t worn in a year or more and anything with holes or stains that cannot be removed or repaired.
- Trash: Anything with holes or stains.
- Donate: Items you haven’t worn in a year+.
- Sell: Items not worn in year+ and is “designer,” e.g. Steve Madden, Tory Burch, expensive jeans. I like to use Facebook Marketplace.
- DON’t become emotionally attached!
- DO keep family heirlooms or special items that have very special meaning.